Agendas and Minutes

City Council (View All)

Study Session

Minutes
Monday, July 17, 2017

ASHLAND CITY COUNCIL STUDY SESSION MINUTES
Monday, July 17, 2017
Siskiyou Room, 51 Winburn Way

 
Mayor Stromberg called the meeting to order at 5:30 PM
Councilor Rosenthal, Morris, Lemhouse, Slattery, Seffinger and Darrow were present.


1.         Public Input
Pepper Trail – 2011 Crestview – Ashland-Spoke that he is Co-Chair of the Rogue Valley Audubon Commission. He spoke regarding interest of the Imperatrice Property.  He spoke in support of clean energy projects.
Dave Helmich- 468 Williamson Way, Ashland-Thanked Council for their work so far on the 10 by 20 project.  He spoke that the project is complex.  He spoke in support of a multi-use Imperatrice. He suggested a connected cost for single or smaller sites across the freeway; incremental power cost should be manageable by all.  He spoke that using space in town for solar is not the long term highest and best use.
Tom Marvin- 245 Timberlake Dr., Ashland -Thanked Staff on their work so far.  He urged Council to direct Staff to work towards achieving an RFP for the Imperatrice Property. He spoke that Imperatrice is the best cite.
Kristina Lafever –2359 Blue Sky Lane –Ashland –Spoke on behalf Pollinator Project Rogue Valley (PPRV).   She spoke that PPRV fully supports the 10 by 20 Plan.  She spoke to the importance of clean energy.
Huelz Gutcheon–2253  HWY 99-Ashland- Spoke regarding batteries for cars and houses.  He spoke regarding clean energy.  He spoke regarding wind farms. He explained that Ashland currently has some solar roofs but needs more.   
Louise Shakhat –870 Cambridge-Ashland-Spoke regarding the 10 by 20.  She thanked Staff for the work they have done.  She spoke that Ashland needs to think in the long-term.  She spoke that sustainability is a catalyst for innovation.  She spoke in support of the 10 by 20. 
Kristi Margethalee-PO Box 987-Talent- Spoke that the Imperatrice property has conservation values and to conserve all or most of this property.
Councilor Darrow spoke that she attended the meeting regarding the Cascade Siskiyou Monument with Kate Brown and Ryan Zinke.  She spoke that it was great to hear all sides.  Councilor Morris spoke he too attended and doesn’t feel he understands the monument and its destination. 
2.         Look Ahead
Interim City Administrator, John Karns spoke that parking strategy meetings are coming up.  He also spoke that Emergency Shelter Meetings will begin in September. He handed out the League of Oregon Cities Conference Schedule and urged Council to attend (see attached).
Councilor Seffinger questioned if Council could get an update sooner than September on the Wastewater Plant.
Engineering Services Manager, Scott Fleury spoke that they are currently looking into the Granite low site for the future placement of the water treatment plant.
Councilor Slattery spoke he would like to put the search and hiring process on an upcoming agenda.  Staff spoke they will work on this.
3.         10 by 20 Status Update
Interim Assistant to the City Administrator, Adam Hanks, Scott Fleury and Tom McBartlett gave an update on the 10 by 20 MW solar generation facility at the Imperatrice Property:
  • Environmental assessment has been ongoing. Preliminary results are complete.  The final report will be done mid-August and will be brought to Council.   
  • Staff has been continuing discussions with BPA on discussions regarding solar and preparation for when the 2028 contracts expire.  There will be other options other than BPA and will know more when the time comes.
  • Staff is working on developing a water quality plan with DEQ to meet temperature requirements.
  • Staff met with DEQ, reviewed RPA and will provide the City back with a formal comment on the RPA. 
  • The permit phase is tentative for October 2018. 
  • The upper section of the Imperatrice Property is ideal for the use of storage; if not the adjacent property around the treatment plant is another option.  
  • Staff has not received much so far on the initial environmental assessment.  There is a list of plant and flower endangered species but not yet verified.
  • Tentatively there will be 16 million gallons worth of storage on site which approximately a week’s worth of coverage.  Due to temperature not all of this would have to be onsite.  
  • Next step options:
    • Pre application with Jackson County?
    • Initiate an application with Pacific Power?
  • RFP Timing:
    • 3-4 Months.
 
Staff/Council Discussion:
City Attorney, Dave Lohman advised Staff to look at getting an attorney involved on land issues for before getting an RFP.
Councilor Lemhouse spoke in opposition of moving forward with an RFP.  He spoke this plan has come up many times and no action has been taken.  He supports 10 by 20 but for now suggests to do nothing until we know there is no need the land for waste water treatment plan.  
Councilor Rosenthal suggested to give direction to see what can be done on the other projects such as solar. 
Councilor Slattery spoke that he would like to get everything in place to make a decision.  He spoke that he likes the menu approach but would like to know the timeline for these different approaches.
Mr. Hanks spoke the menu approach would likely not achieve the 10 by 20 by 2020.  Suggested to get Council feedback on primary objectives of what is wanted for the 10 by 20.  
Council gave Staff direction to bring back the menu approach with a plan and to clarify the goals. Council also gave direction to look into the land issues regarding solar and Imperatrice Property. 
Item 5 was moved to Item 4
4.         Discussion of Indigenous Peoples Day  
Councilor Slattery gave a background of Indigenous Peoples Day (see attached).  He suggested this day would be October 9th which is the same as Columbus Day.  He suggested for that the group to present at the August 1st Council Meeting to give feedback of what they would want in a Resolution. 
Council gave support and directed staff to get this on an agenda.   Council also directed Staff to draft a Resolution for a name change for Dead Indian Road.
5.         Discussion of options for increasing effectiveness of Study Sessions
Councilor Lemhouse suggested moving Study Sessions to Council Chambers.  Council gave consensus for this change and Staff would look into the option. Due to time constraints this item will be continued.  
The Study Session was adjourned at 7:00 PM
 
Respectfully Submitted by:

City Recorder, Melissa Huhtala
 
 
Attest:

Mayor Stromberg
 
 
 
 
 

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share