Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular meeting

Minutes
Friday, February 19, 2016

Minutes
Public Art Commission
February 19, 2016
 
Attendance
Commissioners: Garrington, Merchant, Bussell, Newman, Friend, Lemhouse (council liaison) Seltzer (staff),
 
Absent:
None
 
Guests
Robert Block-Brown
 
Minutes
Minutes of the January regular meeting and the February 8 special meeting were approved with corrections.
 
Citizen Issues
None
 
Update from Council Lemhouse
Lemhouse congratulated the Public Art Commission on their work for the Entry signs and presentation to the City Council.  He noted that having the artist present at the meeting to explain their creative process was helpful and suggested Ms. Zoccola be present when her second piece is presented to the City Council.  Lemhouse also noted that the council is pleased that Garrington reached out to the Historic Commission.  Once the RFQ for the theater corridor is re-drafted Seltzer can send the revised draft to the staff liaison for the HC for comments.  He also noted that the PAC should review Zoccolas’s second piece before it goes to the Council.
In addition Lemhouse reported:
  • The City Council approved a 3% tax on the sale of marijuana.  The item will be on the November ballot.
  • A recent article was misleading about parking fines doubling.  There is a proposal to increase the cost of parking in the Hargadine parking lot from $1.00 to $2.00 per day.
  • A property owner adjacent to the Lithia Way parking lot is requesting a zone change.
  • The City Council is grappling with what to do about City Hall.  It is not seismically sound and needs a complete overhaul.
  • A sub-committee is reviewing the structure of AFN.
 
Entry Signs
PAC individuals will write letter to individuals on the City Council thanking them for their support.
  • Garrington has written to Lemhouse and will write to the Mayor and to Voisin
  • Reinholdt will write to Rosenthal
  • Newman will write to Pam Marsh
  • Friend will write to Mike Morris
  • Merchant will write to Stef Seffinger
 
Historic Commission
Garrington again reported that she attended the Historic Commission meeting in early February requesting input related to the historical context of the Theater Corridor.  HC Chair Terry Skibby provided information to the PAC.
 
The PAC will determine how to incorporate the information into the RFQ.
 
RFQ Next Steps
The PAC reviewed the existing draft of the Theater Corridor RFQ and identified areas that need additions including clarification of the expectations of the winning artist including:
The number of meetings the artist will attend in person and additional meetings as needed via Skype.
 
Determine whether the RFQ will ask for two or three concepts from the winning artist.
Require a three dimensional scale model either as a maquette or electronically.
 
In addition the RFQ should include the process for selection and the number of concepts expected from the artist. 
 
PAC members were assigned sections of the RFQ to edit:
  • Newman: The project
  • Garrington and Merchant: Project Intent (include an emphasis on lighting)
  • Friend: Timeline
  • Bussell: Process
  • Reinhardt: measure the full length of the corridor and take new photos
  • Seltzer: Provide a different map to include as supplemental materials for the RFQ
 
 
Discussion of meeting time
Because of the workload over the past couple of years, the PAC changed the time from 8:30 am to 8:00 am in order to have enough time to get through the agenda.  The PAC discussed preferred meeting times and the majority prefer to keep the start time at 8:00 am.
 
Election of officers
Garrington noted that she has been the chair for four years and the code requires a new chair after three years.  Friend, currently serving as vice chair will assume the role of chair this summer and a new vice chair will need to be elected at that time.
 
Goal Setting
The PAC agree it is time to update their goals for the next three years and will find time this summer to schedule a special meeting.  The last goal setting lasted which occurred in 2013 about six hours.
 
Mayor’s Brown Bag
Garrington is unable to attend the Mayor’s monthly brown bag meeting February 26 at noon in the Siskiyou Room.  Friend or Merchant will attend in her stead.
 
Watershed Art
The RFP deadline is March 15, 2016.  It is anticipated that the PAC will review concepts in April.
 
Upcoming Dates
March 18 regular monthly meeting
 
Meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.
 
 

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share