Sub committee notes
Friday, October 16, 2015
No regular PAC meeting in October.
October 16, 2015
Public Arts Sub-committee meeting
Dana called the meeting to order and the group discussed how they wanted to proceed in preparing for the Council presentation/discussion of the Gather art project status and decision.
Don't want to be defensive - Lori
Siskiyou Bv gateway history – How did the name come about? Was it earmarked for public art at the time of the construction (2001-02)?
Elements the group felt important for the presentation to contain include:
* Art is of its time not historic
* Correct process happened
* Examine/explain process
* Council question. Do you want public art?
* Lithia Park and OSF both developed to world class by bringing in talent from outside the region –globally
* Viewing angle. Nestled vs clear line of sight
* Foundation base and proportions and overall size – height
* Nearby art not historic – maybe list examples
Presentation categories could include:
* Budget dictates results
* Historic vs public art
* Balance between performing and visual arts standards in the community
* Expands our cultural identity
* NEA grant response comments could be useful
The group agreed to continue to think of presentation elements, discussion points, areas of emphasis, etc to be discussed with the sub-committee and eventually the full PAC in the coming weeks.