Ashland Tree Commission
November 8, 2001
Call to Order - the meeting was called to order at 5:15pm by Chair Rich Whitall. Additional members in attendance included tom Peil, Dan Moore, January Jennings, Bryan Holley and Bryan Nelson. Staff Robbin Pearce was also in attendance.
Approval of Minutes - Bryan Nelson moved to approve the minutes with corrections. January Jennings seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously.
Welcome Guests - There were no guests in attendance.
- Tree Ordinance - Corrections, deletions and additions were presented and discussed. Also, each item in John McLaughlin's memo was addressed. Staff will finalize the ordinance. A presentation timeline was created:
- joint study session with the Planning Commission in November if possible
- public/press coverage starting immediately (there was concern about 'good' public input during the holidays)
- January - website, billstuffer, City Source, talking points developed (telling not asking), public presentation drafted
- February - public presentation at regular Tree Commission and regular Planning Commission meetings
- March - presentation to the Council
Staff will verify this plan with Mr. McLaughlin, make any necessary changes and implement immediately. This will include notifying all of those individuals who attended the public meetings including all Planning Commissioners, City Councilors, the Mayor, department heads that will be impacted, and SOU (Bruce Moats). Drafts will be available through Office of Community Development with comments requested to staff by December 31st.
- Recommended Street Tree List - The formatter will be on vacation until November 13th. It will be ready by the December meeting. Commissioners discussed writing a letter stating 'more dedicated staff time' or could be helpful in completing projects in a timely fashion. Bryan Holley will draft a letter. Staff will supply a list of commissions, their staff, their staff time and their budgets.
- Library Project Update - Bob Kendrick will be at the December meeting to introduce himself and answer questions about tree impact of the Library project.
- Jackson County Smart Map - Staff will update the Commission in December.
- Other - There was no other old business.
- Site Reviews - There were no site reviews this month.
- Terry Skibby - Terry will attend the December meeting to present his completed tree photo work.
- Other - 1)Siskiyou Redesign - January Jennings reported Paula Brown, Public Works Director told January only four trees will be affected. January is still trying to find an existing inventory. January will update again in December.
Adjournment - The meeting adjourned at 7:15pm.