Ashland Tree Commission
March 8, 2001
Call to Order - The meeting was called to order at 5:05pm by Chair Rich Whitall. Additional commissioners present included January Jennings, Bryan Holley, Bryan Nelson, Dan Moore, Greg Covey and Tom Piel. Council liaison Cameron Hanson, Planning Commission liaison Kerry Kencairn and staff Robbin Pearce were also in attendance.
Approval of Minutes - Minutes for the February meeting were approved as submitted.
Welcome Guests - Evan Archerd, developer and John Galbraith, Landscape Architect, were present for the planning action.
- Project Updates - 1) Siskiyou Boulevard Redesign - there is no new information to report. 2) Library - Bryan Holley submitted the letter written regarding discussion of placement of the plaque for the Ginkgo, Tree of the Year 2000. It was decided to whom the letter should be send and who should get copies. Small edits were made and the letter was given to staff to distribute. 3) Recommended Street Tree List (RSTL) - Staff has made formatting and editing changes. Bryan Nelson will add symbols to the new pages and it will be ready to be formatted. At next months Tree Commission meeting photos will be reviewed and a cover will be discussed. Discussion included having the entire RSTL on the City's webpage, making the file available through the internet. 4) Ordinance - Staff stated work should continue while state legislature is forming a committee to 'redraft' Measure 7. Discussion included working towards public meeting dates, how many meetings, where should the meetings be held, is there monies available for a facilitator, the format of the public meetings, identifying the stakeholders, presenting issues - why we need an ordinance, how we got to this point, and asking the questions such as 'what works for you?' Further discussion will continue at the April meeting.
- Arbor Week Activities - 1) Tree Photos - Photos will be available for display if someone is willing to take it on as a project. Otherwise Terry Skibby will have the first five photos done by Arbor Week and they will be in a scrapbook. The question was asked if the photos could be on the webpage? 2) School activities - January Jennings is working with a group of Lincoln students. They have covered deciduous vs. evergreen. This is a four part series culminating with an assembly on Arbor Day, April 27th. January is also in the process of organizing all the Arbor Day materials into a binder for easier reference. 3) Tree Planting will be Wednesday April 4th at 10:45am at North Mountain Park. Mayor DeBoer will be present. A small group of school kids will also be present. 4) Articles - The Tidings is publishing four different articles, which they also encouraged to include photos. The articles will be:
- History of Ashland's Trees - Holley & Todt
- Topping - Jennings
- Right Tree/Right Place - Moore
- What is Tree City USA? What is Arbor Week & What are the Benefits of an Urban Forest? - Piel
The publication dates are March 15, 22, 29 and April 5th. The sooner during the week of publication that the Tidings receives the articles and the artwork the better. 5) Council Presentation - Rich Whitall will edit the slides, write the script and notify everyone of their parts. The Council meeting is Tuesday, April 4th, 7pm in the Council Chambers. This presentation should be almost first on the agenda. It will include reading of the proclamation, presentation of the Tree City USA award and announcement of the Tree of the Year for 2001. 6)Tree of the Year - The nominations were reviewed and voted on. The five finalists were chosen. Bryan Nelson and January Jennings will write the description for the ballot. The ballot will come out in the paper on Thursday, March 15th. Voting will continue until March 30.
- Other - There was no additional Old Business.
- Site Reviews -
- Other - There was no other New Business.
Adjournment - Meeting adjourned at 7:15pm