Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Minutes Public Art Commission

Minutes
Friday, January 17, 2014

Minutes
Public Art Commission
January 17, 2014
Regular Meeting
 
Attendance
Commissioners: Bussell, Hepford, Friend, Clark, Seltzer (staff), Rosenthal (council liaison)
 
Absent
Garrington
 
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:30 a.m.
 
Approval of Minutes
December meeting minutes were approved with corrections.
 
Citizen Issues/Proposals
None. 
 
Progress distributing Gateway announcement
PAC members have completed their list of notifications about the Gateway RFQ.  As new contacts or opportunities are identified Bussell will add them to the list.  To date, approximately 140 individual artist, art organizations, art listing entities and more have been contact and send the information about the Gateway project.  The deadline for submittals is March 31, 2014.
 
Update on Grants
Hepford and Clark worked on the NEA grant application but discovered they could not move forward without more information from the City.
 
Seltzer has submitted the preliminary screening application for the NEA Art Works grant.  If approved, the City will be notified that it can proceed and submit grant application.  City policy requires staff to seek approval from the City Council prior to submitting grants.  Seltzer will seek Council approval at their Jan 21 meeting.
 
The PAC is also waiting to hear on whether or not they can  proceed with a grant application to ArtPlace.  The preliminary screening letter of inquiry was submitted in December.  Hepford expects to hear from ArtPlace in February.
 
Update on responses to Calle
The PAC received one submittal of sculpture for the Calle project.  The PAC reviewed the submission and wants to meet with the artist to discuss the piece.  Seltzer will contact the artist and invite her to attend the February PAC meeting. 
 
Inventory of Public Art General Discussion
The PAC discussed the next steps to identify public art for possible inclusion in the “public art inventory”.  Members were encouraged to take pictures and send them to the DropBox Clark will set up.  The group agreed that anything that might be considered public art should be included at this stage.  At a later time the PAC will review all the photos and determine what should be included in the “inventory”.
 
The group also agreed to consider possible locations for future public art as they are exploring the community and taking photographs.
 
Friend will create a list of locations and assign each member to explore those areas and determine if the locations should be considered for future installations.
 
Seltzer will email the group the Goals and three year work plan developed by the PAC a year ago. 
 
Meeting adjourned at 10:00.
mal> 
At the next meeting, the group will discuss and identify their list of preferences.
 
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 am.
 
 

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share