Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting Minutes

Minutes
Friday, October 18, 2013

Minutes
Public Art Commission
October 18, 2013
Regular Meeting
 
Attendance
Commissioners: Bussell, Clark, Hepford, Friend, Seltzer (staff), Rosenthal (council liaison)
 
Absent
Garrington, Pugh
 
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:20 a.m.
 
Approval of Minutes
September meeting minutes were approved as presented.
 
Citizen Issues/Proposals
None. 
 
Discussion on actions to complete prior to posting the Gateway RFQ
Bussell presented an updated contact list and the group discussed which PAC members will assume responsibility to contacting each listing to post the RFQ.  Since the list and the number of pages continues to grow, the group decided to divide the work by State and the greater Portland area.  The following were assigned: Clark - Washington State, Bussell – Idaho and Montana, Garrington – Oregon, Hepford – Portland, Friend – California, Seltzer – art organizations and subscriptions.
 
Once the RFP is posted in January 2014, Seltzer will post the web link information on Facebook and Twitter.
 
Friend proposed slight changes to the Gateway announcement.  M/S Hepford/Bussell and the motion passed.  Seltzer will send the revised announcement to the group in January.
 
Grants: Where are we?
Hepford has identified three grants that may be appropriate for upcoming public art work.  1) National Endowment for the Art “Our Town” for the Gateway project.  The grant deadline January 14.  Hepford and Clark will work together on a first draft.
 
National Endowment for the Humanities grant may be applicable for the Public Art Inventory project.  The grant deadline is August.
 
Cultural Tourism Grant through Travel Oregon with a deadline of January 31.  No specific project was identified for this grant.
 
Inventory of Public Art
The discussion centered on the definition of public art as it relates to this project.  The group agreed to focus on “art” sited on city owned land and possibly incorporating a link or directing people to public art at Southern Oregon University but not to include SOU art in the PAC inventory.
 
Friend encouraged people to take photos of public art in Ashland for review by the PAC at a later date.  Clark will create a drop box for PAC members to submit photographs.  Seltzer will bring a map of the City to the November meeting and the group can decide how to divide the work load based on the map.
 
Potential Places for Future Public Art
The group discussed locations for future public art when funds come available.  Neighborhood parks were identified as possible locations and a way to incorporate art into neighborhoods.  The PAC recognizes that siting public art in parks will require permission and a close partnership with the Parks and Recreation Commission.
 
Seltzer pointed out that banners hanging from light poles is a possibility at Exit 14 and Ashland Street and on North Main.
 
Discussion meeting date and time
The group discussed options for a different day and time for PAC meetings.  Hepford would prefer later in the day, others like the current day and time.  Seltzer will poll PAC members to determine a preference.  Bussell noted that she is unavailable on Tuesday and Thursday, Seltzer noted the Siskiyou Room is not available on Wednesdays. 
 
Meeting adjourned at 9:30.
 

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share