Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Friday, February 15, 2013

Minutes
Public Art Commission
February 15, 2013
 
 
Attendance
Commissioners: Bussell, Pugh, Capovilla, Friend, Garrington, Davis, Seltzer (staff)
 
Absent
Lemhouse (council liaison)
 
Guest
Alisa Clark, applicant for PAC member
 
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:15 a.m.
 
Approval of Minutes
Minutes of the January minutes were approved with corrections M/S Pugh/Garrington.
 
Public Art for the Police Station Remodel
Seltzer explained AMC 2.29.180 requires one half of one percent of a city capital project be allocated to public art however it does not require the funds be spent on public art at the location of the capital project.
Seltzer discussed this with Police Chief Terry Holderness.  Given the improvements to the station are not close to pedestrian access, as is the case with Fire Station No. 2, he supports transferring the public art funds, $6500, to the public art account to be used for public art in a different location.  Phase 2 of the project will results in approximately $3500 for public art and he believes that addition will provide a location for public art either at the entrance to the meeting/community room from the parking lot or inside the new community room.
Staff requests a vote of the PAC to transfer $6500 to the public art fund for public art in a different location than the police station.
 
M/S transfer the $6500 from the police station project to public art fund Davis/Pugh.
 
There was general discussion on using the $6500 to purchase, in part, a sculpture for the Calle pedestal at the top of the staircase which is now empty.
 
Mural Criteria
The PAC reviewed the revised mural criteria from Friend and Pugh.  The group identified a few areas that need clarification:
  1. Timeline and checkpoints during the project
  2. Definition of a mural
  3. Incorporation and clarify AMC sign code and public art on private property
  4. Review process
DRAFT Goals
Thanks to Garrington for her work on drafting goals.  While the original intent was to draft a goal for City Council consideration and we missed that deadline, the PAC agrees that the DRAFT identifies goals for consideration by the PAC.
The PAC requested a day long retreat to develop short and long term goals and associated budget needs.
Seltzer will research available facilities “off campus” for the first week in March.  Bussell requested the event not occur on Tuesday or Thursday.
 
Presentation to City Council
The group agreed it should make a report to the City Council about the work of the PAC, the status of current projects and plans for upcoming projects, specifically the large sculpture for the gateway island between the library and the fire station.  It was noted that many on the Council may not be aware that area was designated for public art several years ago.
 
It was agreed that part of the presentation will include the work done at the retreat.  Seltzer suggested the PAC send a letter to the Council letting them know they will be requesting time on a Council agenda in June or July.  Seltzer will draft a letter for Davis signature.
 
Other
  • Friend will be gone the last week in March
  • Capovilla will be gone from mid-March through April
  • Garrington will be gone April and May
  • Capovilla will prepare an update on the We Are Here sculpture
 
The installation of Open Minded at Fire Station No. 2 went well and people seemed pleased with the piece. 
 
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 am.
 
Next meeting:
Early March (TBD) goal setting
March 15, 2013, regular meeting

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share