Agendas and Minutes

Homelessness Steering Committee ad hoc (View All)

Homelessness Steering Committee Ad Hoc Regular Meeting-Minutes

Minutes
Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Adopted Minutes
January 09, 2013
Ad-Hoc Homelessness Steering Committee
Ashland Library
4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Attendance
Ayars, Parker, O’Bryon, Hopkins-Powell, Sohl, Rohde, Lewis, Morris (Council liaison)
 Reid (Staff)
 
Absent
Saldana
 
Guests
Corriann Matthews, Wendy Eppinger, John Wieczorek
 
Agenda Item #1: Call to Order
Hopkins-Powell called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m.
 
Agenda Item #2: Approval of Minutes
Rohde/Parkers m/s to approve the minutes, Voice Vote-Motion passed unanimously.
 
Agenda Item #3: Sub-Committee Reports:
 
  1. Winter Shelter report/update
The Council voted to open a weekly winter shelter on Thursday nights at pioneer hall in partnership with the Universal Unitarian Church and Temple Emek Shalom.  No dogs will be allowed for liability reasons.  Parker reported that five people have gone through the background check and are ready to volunteer at Pioneer Hall.  The volunteer training will be taking place tonight.  Parker stated that City Staff and especially Lee Tuneberg have really helped to expedite the process to get the shelter open so quickly.  Audience member John Wieczorek stated that he felt that the HSC inviting the faith community to their meetings helped to open a dialog about the need for shelters. Rohde and Lewis felt that there should be a follow up story about the shelter.  Hopkins-Powell offered to take that on.  Some concern was expressed about minors who may show up at the shelter.  Audience Member Corrianne Matthews stated that generally there are beds available at Hearts with a Mission (HWAM), the shelter for homeless youth located in Medford, and that if someone needed transportation to HWAM she could provide that.  Hopkins-Powell reported that Trinity has hosted 58 guests since opening weekly on thanksgiving week.  During that time 39 of the guests have been different each time and one individual has utilized the Wednesday night shelter every week.  Trinity has not compared the shelter list with that of the Presbyterian Church.
 
  1.  Veteran’s Court sub-committee report/update
Lewis and O’Bryon have coordinated with Paul Skinner from the VA and Councilor
Lemhouse to take a field trip to Klamath on January 29th
 
  1. Car Park report/update
Due to all of the activity around the additional shelter night there have been no new developments on the overnight parking program.  Parker suggested that the sub-committee members take a field trip to Eugene to meet with the St. Vincent program staff, to see what they are doing.  Parker suggested that any sub-committee members who were interested in taking a field trip should e-mail her any potential dates that they would be available. 
 
  1. Showers report/update
No new update.
 
Agenda Item #4 Quarterly Report Discussion
A HSC update is on the Council Regular Meeting Agenda for February 19th.  Reid will find out if the Council expects a written or verbal update.  The HSC members agreed that the report should provide an update on the Vet. Court and on the winter shelter efforts as well as touching on the three focus areas; overnight camping program, showers, and additional shelter resources.
 
*Additional agenda items: 
Council liaison Morris provided an update on the RFP for a resource center.  Councilor Voisin asked to have a discussion about the RFP put on the Study session agenda for January 14th.  Rohde asked if anyone would want to lobby for the continuation of the group. Hopkins-Powell stated that she didn’t feel that the committee needed to continue, but that the committee should use the time they have left to accomplish as much as possible.   Reid mentioned that the City also offers social service grants which could be used for a resource center.  Parker felt that there were not any non-profits who could or would run a resource center at this time.  Lewis felt that the location is as much of a stumbling block as the non-profit.  Sohl wondered if the Parks Department could take on a resource center.  It would be similar to the senior program and the youth program that they already have.  Councilor Morris stated that a proposal like that would likely need to be approved through the Parks Commission then the Council.  Reid will research the establishment of the senior center.  Sohl stated that she felt confident that as a City we could figure it out.  
 
Agenda Item #5: Announcements/Public Comments
None
 
Adjourn-5:45
 
Next meeting: January 28, 2013 4:00-6:00 P.M.
Siskiyou Room of the Community Development Building-51 Winburn Way
 
Respectfully Submitted by Linda Reid, Housing Program Specialist

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share