Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

October 19, 2012

Minutes
Friday, October 19, 2012


Minutes
Public Art Commission
October 19, 2012
 
 
Attendance
Commissioners: Bussell, Friend, Garrington, Davis, Capovilla, Lemhouse (Council Liaison)
 
Absent
Pugh, Seltzer (staff)
 
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:1 5 a.m.
 
Approval of Minutes
Minutes of the August meeting were approved M/S Friend/Bussell.
 
Update on Council Approval of Springer Commisssion
Davis explained because of the compressed timing for plaza construction it was most appropriate for the PAC to enter into a direct commission with Sue Springer for the art element.  This allows for the PAC to move forward on the bench design and have this
incorporated with the landscape architect’s construction documents.  Garrington asked the commission to think about the amount of bench coverage with the proposed ceramics would be appropriate.
 
Selection Panel for Plaza Concepts
Davis reiterated the compressed timing for approval of the plaza bench design.   This means a selection panel should meet on November 14 or 15 before the next scheduled PAC meeting.
Lemhouse suggested the PAC send a mailer to present the public art element to the DT businesses thru the Chamber of Commerce.  Davis will talk with Sandra Slattery on ways to give notice to these businesses asap preferable before November 5.
After a discussion of possible selection panel members it was decided to include the following: Ken Silverman (Nimbus), Judy Howard (Hanson Howard), Jamie Hutchinson (citizen), Jane Almquist (Treehouse Books), Tom or Lisa Bean (Sesame), Daniel Greenblatt (Greenleaf), Melissa Jensen (Louie’s), Donna Zimmerman (Websters). 
 
Proposed AMC Changes
PAC reviewed the three options and preferred option one with one change.  The PAC wants the fourth sentence of Section 2.10.040 to remain, this is the part where members do not have to physically be present if another means of attendance is possible.  M/S Bussell/Friend.
 
Update Fire Station No. 2
Davis asked the PAC to think about a ceremony for the Rench sculpture to create public awareness and publicity about the art work and the public art program of the city.  Davis will find out the particulars of the Firehouse opening. 
Gallery Guide
Garrington will contact Ann DiSalvo about the article.
 
Next Meeting
At the November 16 regular meeting the PAC will need to approve the art element for the plaza design and the amount of TOT money to be spent on it in order to send on a recommendation to the City Council for their December meeting.
 
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 am

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share