Agendas and Minutes

Homelessness Steering Committee ad hoc (View All)

Homelessness Steering Committee

Minutes
Monday, June 27, 2011

Minutes

June, 27 2011

Ad hoc Homelessness Steering Committee

Guanajuato Room, Ashland Public Library

3:00 – 5:00

 

Attendance

Rohde, Lewis, Hopkins-Powell, O’Bryon, Saldana, Everson, Slattery (council liaison), Voisin (council liaison Seltzer (city staff)

 

Absent

Parker, Ayars

 

Call to Order

Rhode called the meeting to order at 3:05.

 

Approval of Minutes

Minutes of the June 20 meeting were approved.

 

The committee continued their review of the proposals.

 

20.       Peace House: Housing Options

 

It was difficult for the committee to determine what they are proposing.  Seltzer will send a letter asking Peace House to clarify what they are willing to do and what they are asking of the City.  The letter should encourage Peace House to meet with housing providers.  The committee discussed how providers educate property owners and renters on rights and responsibilities.

 

21.       Peace House: Police Profiling

 

The committee invites Police Chief Holderness to respond to the proposal statements and to attend an upcoming Citizen Coalition meeting.  There was general discussion about the proposal to designate an emergency sleeping spot and partnership with the faith community to use a church parking lot.  Comments were made that this proposal, as with the majority of proposals, was to get the faith community to take on the project.  Some commented that the churches have projects they are working on and parishioners willing and able to do the work was limited.  There was some discussion on the information police provide to the homeless should include information on free meals, available shelter and directions to camping options including camping on Forest Service and BLM properties.  Seltzer to send a letter asking for more specifics.

 

This project was added to the “Parking Lot” for further discussion in the future.

 

22.       Peace House: Transitional Housing

The committee commented there are a number of transitional housing on our area.  The proposal does not indicate that Peace House is offering to do anything.  It was suggested the proposer, Nikki Pons, connect with the providers of transitional housing.  It was determined this proposal is not actionable at this time.

 

23.       Salvation Army

 

This proposal was combined with a previous proposal and will be forwarded to the Council.

 

24.       Listening Post

The committee felt this was a great idea and discussion centered on where the service could be located.  It was suggested the Methodist Church on Tuesdays to correspond with Uncle Foods diner.  This will be forwarded to the Council.

 

25.       Food Gardens for Yard Privileges

There was general discussion on how the project is currently working and what the proposal is asking of the City.  The proposal was moved to the “Parking Lot” for future discussion.

 

26.       Picture of a Sign to contribute to charities

This is in tandem with the proposal of donation boxes which will be forwarded to the City Council.

 

27.       Comments from Robert Simms

The committee thanked Mr. Simms for taking the time to write but did not feel the proposal was actionable at this time.

 

28.       Comments from Jeff McAllister

The committee thanked Mr. McAllister for taking the time to write and noted a number of his comments were addressed in other proposals.

 

29.       Catie Faryl Get people around town and out of their cars

The committee felt this was a creative idea but not actionable as submitted.

 

30.       Catie Faryl Data Management

The committee did not feel the proposal was actionable but did note the newly released 211info.org that lists all social service providers and services.

 

31.       Visitor & Convention Bureau

The committee supports the concept of “community” but did not find the proposal actionable at this time.

The committee agreed this was a Ashland School District decision on how to use federal funds (McKinny – Vento act)  allocated to schools to address student homelessness. 

 

Seltzer will prepare a list of “parking lot proposals” for the next meeting.

 

The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

 

Next meeting dates:

Thursday, July 14 at 4:00 in the Library Gresham Room

Thursday, August 18, at 4:00 in the Library Gresham Room

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share