ASHLAND TREE COMMISSION
February 3, 2011
CALL TO ORDER –Ashland Tree Commission meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. on February 3, 2011, in the Siskiyou Room in the Community Development and Engineering Services Building located at 51 Winburn Way, Ashland, Oregon.
Amy Gunter, Assistant Planner
Anne Thayer, Parks Dept. Horticulturist
Bobby Townsend, Tracy Peddicord
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
December 6, 2010 Tree Commission Minutes – Roland motioned/Meyers seconded to approve the December 6th, 2010 regular meeting minutes Voice vote: all AYES, Motion passed. The minutes were approved as submitted.
Welcome – Russ Silbiger, new City Council Liaison
David Wood, City of Ashland Electric Department Journeyman Tree Trimmer
Dave provides the Annual Report to Tree Commission as required per 18.61.035.H. Dave bases the tree he trims on Public Utility Commission requirements, voltage of lines, species, and distance to lines, and cycles of trims.
Less trees overall were cut this year due to budget constraints and Dave being unable to have an assistant.
Secondary to the trees was shrub and vegetation clearance around pad mount transformers. Transformers require three feet of clearance on the sides and eight feet of clear space in front of the transformer.
Dave would like to see the maximum height of trees under power lines reduced to 20 feet due to lack of maintenance that the larger stature trees require. Dave is looking at modifying some of the trees within the Recommended Street Tree Guide.
Commissioners thanked Dave for the care that he has taken on the trees. They remember what it was like before he came.
TYPE I PLANNING REVIEW
PLANNING ACTION: 2011-00027
SUBJECT PROPERTY: 156 Seventh Street
APPLICANT: Annie McIntyre
DESCRIPTION: A request for a Site Review approval to convert the existing single family residential home and garage to three units. Two units will be located within the existing residence and the third unit will be located in the converted garage. A Conditional Use Permit to convert the garage to habitable space is required because its side-yard setback is non-conforming.
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN DESIGNATION: Low-Density Multi Family; ZONING: R-2; ASSESSOR’S MAP : 39 1E 09AC; TAX LOT: 900
The Tree Commission has recommended the following for the above planning action:
1) The Tree Commission recommends that wood chips be placed within the roots zones of the Cedar and Redwood trees outside of the areas of Tree Protection fencing to reduce compaction.
2) That larger stature street trees shall be planted in the parkrow. The trees chosen should be sun tolerant for the west facing exposure.
Adoption of Goals
· Produce a biannual report (at Arbor Day and Tree of the Year presentations) to the City Council regarding projects and events.
· Create an educational pamphlet that speaks to water uses, hiring a contractor, proper pruning techniques, and other information that can go in the utility bill. Also place ISA brochures in the utility bill.
· Work with the Public Works Dept on developing Green Street standards as it relates to trees and planting the park row.
· Revisit an Urban Forestry program.
· Transfer older inventories (Lithia Park, Siskiyou Blvd, etc.) into digital format and see if there are opportunities from the GIS dept to create a “tree layer” to make inventories more workable in the future. Phase Two will be to have a city-wide tree inventory and develop a management plan.
· Tree planting assistance program.
The above goals that the Tree Commission developed have been passed along to the City Council. The City Council will be reviewing the goals as part of their goal setting sessions.
Arbor Week Planning – April 3rd through 9th
April 5, 2011 – Arbor Day Proclamation / Tree City USA presentation will be held at the Ashland City Council meeting – 7PM at Council Chambers
April 6, 2011 – Ceremonial Tree Planting with the children from the Discovery Days Pre-School at the Ashland Family YMCA. Anne and Casey will go to the YMCA to determine a good location for a tree.
April 8, 2011 - Ashland Art Center – artist renderings of Trees of the Year for Arbor Week – First Friday Art Walk
April 23, 2011 – Earthday, planning will happen at April meeting.
Caldera Brewing Annexation debrief
Caldera Brewery project with Annexation was approved by the Ashland Planning Commission at the January Planning Commission meeting. The Tree Commission did not have a quorum for the meeting and was not able to comment on the landscaping plan. They proposed numerous plant and tree additions to the property and will be removing a row of Cypresses along the freeway side of the property.
ITEMS FROM COMMISSIONERS
Anne Thayer: Anne provided the Tree Commission with the Parks Department Annual Report regarding the tree removals on City of Ashland Parks Department maintained property.
ADJOURNMENT– The meeting was adjourned at 7:58 PM.
Respectfully submitted by Amy Gunter, Assistant Planner