Public Art Commission
February 19, 2010
Goal Setting, Regular Meeting
Commissioners: Bussell, Edson, Wilkerson, Seltzer (staff liaison)
Absent: Pugh, Wynkoop, Lemhouse (council liaison)
Chair Bussell called meeting to order at 7:30 a.m.
The Committee focused on identifying and prioritizing goals for the upcoming year. The committee reviewed 22 potential goals that had been identified over the past year and after voting, developed the following list.
1) Identify possible locations for a mural as a ”°neighborhood”± project
2) Develop a master plan for downtown gateway projects
3) Develop ”°walking tour”± brochure
1) Implement Phase II of Utility Box Project
1) Third round Calle Sculpture installation
2) ”°Endorse ”°Friends of Public Art”±
3) Finalize location for Hardesty memorial
4) Meet with Parks re: public art in public parks
Staff will develop draft strategies and timeline for each goal and given.
Meeting adjourned at 9:30
DRAFT March 2010
PAC Goals, Strategies and Timelines
S=specific, M=measureable, A=action oriented, R=realistic, T=Timely
1) Identify location for a mural as a ”°neighborhood”± project within twelve months.
”¤ Consider locations that can be seen by a lot of people but are not in the downtown core.
”¤ Consider property owner of the location.
”¤ Consider if the mural should be mounted separately on the identified space (e.g. created on a canvas and then mounted or created directly on the location)
”¤ Commissioners should consider funding
April žu PAC approval of at least two locations
May žu Develop talking points/givens
July žu Meet with property owners to discuss the project using talking points and givens
September žu Seek Council approval
2) Implement master planning process for downtown gateway projects within twelve months.
June žu PAC approves ”°vision”± statement for the process
August žu PAC approves process and timing
September žu Secure a facilitator
January žu Launch process
March žu Develop ”°vision”± based on public input
May žu Seek Council approval
3) Develop ”°walking tour”± brochure of public art for print and online access within twelve months.
Spring and Fall žu take photographs
Summer žu Develop ”°messages”± for brochure
Summer žu engage graphic designer
Identify possible locations suitable for the sculpture (not
Consider leaving the piece in current location (impacts Calle round three)
Communicate with donor
September žu final decision on location
April žu develop list of talking points to discuss with Parks
May/June žu request meeting with chair
Implement Phase II of Utility Box Project
(Staff did not develop strategies or timeline for this goals)