Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular meeting Minutes

Minutes
Friday, December 18, 2009

Minutes

Public Art Commission

December 18, 2009

Regular Meeting

Attendance:

Commissioners:  Bussell, Edson, Markell, Wynkoop, Baker, Voisin, council liaison, Seltzer (staff liaison)

 

Absent: Pugh, Wilkerson

 

Guest:

Nancy Parker and Jean Bakewell şu Peace Wall

 

Chair Bussell called meeting to order at 8:20 a.m.

 

Citizen Issues/Peace Wall

Nancy Parker updated the PAC on the grant application to the Carpenter Foundation.  MS Edson/Markell and yes vote to submit the application as written.  PAC members in attendance signed the signature sheet.  Seltzer will secure signatures from the absent commissioners and the Mayor and notify Nancy parker when it is ready to be picked up.

 

Minutes

The November minutes were approved.

 

PAC Goals

Bussell provided an list of PAC projects that have been discussed and asked the commission to discuss the list, identify priorities and develop an implementation plant with funding.

 

The group identified the UB project, murals, bike racks and developing a ¡°How To¡± brochure/guidelines on the publis art process to be made available to local artist.

 

Edson is working on two possible grants for the utility box project and will provide drafts to the commission prior to the January regular meeting.

 

Bussell and Edson will work to identify a day and time when the commission can have a special meeting (retreat) in order to discuss the identified goals more thoroughly.

 

Other discussion included:

  • placing a ¡°minimum number of submissions¡± in the RFPs prior to moving forward with the selection process
  • the need to inventory possible locations of public art on private property
  • awareness of public perceptions on murals (e.g. there are some good murals but there are as many bad murals)
  • Possible mural on the train trestle and/or an architecturally enhanced train trestle
  • Invite the public works department to a future meeting to explain the placement of bike racks
  • Staff was asked to provide a current funding summary at the January meeting.

 

Policy for the Interior Display of public Art

Bussell provided an outline of items to be considered in developing a policy for the display of interior public art.  This will be discussed further at the special meeting.  Edson clarified that the PAC was developing a policy, not a project.

 

Functional Objects in public right of way.

Bussell briefly summarized Commissioner Wilkerson¡¯s proposal to handle possible requests of function objects as public art.  This will be discussed further at the special meeting.

 

To Do List

Bussell/Edson identify day and time for special meeting

Edson/Baker to begin draft grant application for UB project

Seltzer to prepare summary of public art funding

 

Meeting adjourned at 9:45

 

Next meeting:

Friday, January 15 and February 19

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share