Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Public Art Commission

Minutes
Friday, October 17, 2008

Minutes

Public Art Commission

October 17, 2008

Regular Meeting

Attendance:

Commissioners:  Markell, Bussell, Longshore, Wilkerson, Pugh, Wynkoop, Seltzer (staff liaison),

 

Absent:

Hardesty (Council liaison)

 

Guest:

none

 

Chair Markell called meeting to order at 8:20 a.m. 

 

Citizen Issues:

None

 

Minutes approved for September M/S Bussell/Pugh

 

Position Paper

Wilkerson briefed the members of the draft position paper he and Bussell developed addressing the PAC opposition to the recommendation of the downtown task force to allow 3D signs and eventually submit the paper to the Planning Commission.  Wilkerson will email the draft to the group, members should review and respond with comments to Seltzer.  Members should consider what the PAC is trying to accomplish with the paper, and the message they are trying to convey.

 

Utility Box JCCC Grant

Markell and Longshore will meet with Betty Powers, member of the Jackson county Cultural Trust to discuss the PAC grant application for the utility box project.  JCCC generally announces the grant recipients in November with funds available after the news year. 

 

Community Development Fee

Seltzer briefed the PAC on the change to the 1/10 of 1% of commercial development value for public art.  The Site Design and Use Standard will change to require public art as one of the components in large scale (10,000 square feet) and/or require the developer to invest ˝ of 1% of the value in the art, go through the public art process or pay the equivalent in the Public Art Account.  This modification requires a change to the current land use code and will likely not occur until after the new year.

 

Lincoln Statue

The Parks Department is seeking recommendations from the PAC and an appropriate location for the Lincoln Statue.  Suggestions included the foyer of the Library, Civic Center, lobby of Com Dev etc.  Seltzer will invite Police chief to attend the November meeting to speak about what can and can’t be done about vandalism to Public Art.

 

Calle RFP

Bussell gave an update to the draft RFP for the next Calle sculpture project.  Members suggested sticking with the original theme of water.  Bussell will re-write and submit to PAC members for comment via email.  The hope is to initiate the “call to artists” before the end of the year.

 

Peace Tiles

Wilkerson was contacted about the Peace Tile project.  PAC asked the organizers to make a presentation to the PAC at the November meeting.

 

Next meeting dates:

November 21, 8:15 a.m.

December 19, 8:15 a.m.

 

Meeting adjourned: 9:45

 

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share