Alert: As of July 15, face masks will be required in outdoor public spaces where physical distancing is not possible. This is in addition to masks being required for all indoor public spaces effective July 1. Get more updates, cancelations, and resources related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) here.
 

Agendas and Minutes

Forest Lands Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, November 09, 2005

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING
ASHLAND FOREST LANDS COMMISSION
November 9, 2005 - 4:30 PM
Community Development, 51 Winburn Way

MEMBERS PRESENT: Frank Betlejewski, Richard Brock (Chair), Jo Anne Eggers (Vice Chair), Dan Maymar, Joseph Vaile
Members Absent: Anthony Kerwin, Diane White
Staff Present: Keith Woodley, Nancy Slocum, Marty Main
Non-Voting Members Present: None

I. CALL TO ORDER: Chair Brock called the meeting to order at 4:31 PM in the Siskiyou Room.
-
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Eggers/Vaile m/s to approve the minutes of October 12th with three minor changes. Motion passed unanimously.
-
III. PUBLIC FORUM: None
-
IV. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA: None
-
V. OLD BUSINESS:
A. AFRCAT Update - Brock asked if the Forest Service's Northern Spotted Owl modeling map was complete. Main said perhaps by the end of November when the preferred alternative is drafted. The Forest Service invited Main, Borgias and a representative from the City to an all-day meeting to help draft the preferred alternative. Duffy asked Woodley to serve as the City's representative, but Woodley needed to hear back from Mayor Morrison.

Eggers suggested opening the meeting to other AFRCATs that would like to attend in order to share information and build community support for the project. Linda Duffy had indicated that FACA restrictions on meeting with special interest groups may prevent this. Brock said that collaboration on a preferred alternative was unprecedented. He suggested asking Duffy when others from the Commission and/or AFRCAT would be able to sit in on meetings. Vaile suggested asking the City Attorney whether FACA would apply to the upcoming discussions with the City's (AFLC) liaisons.

Maymar was in favor of continuing with the same liaisons (Main and Borgias) and obtaining frequent feedback. Vaile said the open comment period is over and said the implementation phase is the most critical. The public can give input, but there was no recourse.

Brock wondered how to create a "feedback loop" between the City and the Forest Service. Would a formal process be in the form of an updated Memorandum of Understanding or written into the FEIS? Main thought the Forest Service was the ultimate decision maker. The question becomes: How much did the Forest Service Supervisor value our input? Vaile suggested asking for an annual review of the project. The commission agreed.

Brock wondered about the timeline for the FEIS and ROD. Main reported that the Forest Service stated the FEIS is due mid to late January. Brock asked Main to convene an AFRCAT meeting to update them on his meeting with the Forest Service.

Vaile asked for a joint field trip or a presentation to the AFLC from the Forest Service within the next two months. Main will ask Duffy.

Main asked Slocum to send out a message to the AFRCAT list serve to gain input for his upcoming meeting with the Forest Service. The questions for feedback include: 1) What are your ideas on how to blend the two alternatives and 2) How do we optimize a post-ROD interactive "feedback loop" (for monitoring, modifications, etc.) with the Forest Service? How would that be staffed and funded? Main would like comments by November 14th.

-
B. Winburn Parcel - Woodley is currently reviewing Main's draft prescriptions. Slocum will email a version to the Commissioners for their review and comment.
-
C. Finalize Three Year Commission Goals - Commission reviewed the objectives for Goal 2 (updating the MOU). Betlejewski would have a draft ready by the end of November. Goal 3 (updating the Forest Plan) would consist of reviewing the terminology and tracking any changes. Betlejewski would complete these objectives by Spring, 2006. Commission reviewed Brocks objectives for Goal 5 (creating riparian management strategy). The commission attached timelines to the above goals and tabled the rest of the discussion until the December meeting. Slocum will make the changes for December's packet.
-
D. Monitoring on City Owned Land - Tabled.
-
VI. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Update Commission Glossary - tabled.
-
VII. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS: None
-
VII. ADJOURN: 6:03 PM

Richard Brock, Chair
Nancy Slocum, Clerk


End of Document - Back to Top

 

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2020 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top