Minutes Public Arts Commission
May 20, 2005
Those present: Benson, Bayard, Longshore, Markell, Pugh, Jackson (council liaison)
Absent: Gay, Wilkerson
Citizens present: Ann DiSalvo
- Meeting called to order at 8:15am
- Benson welcomed new member Annette Pugh
- Minutes for the April 15 meeting were approved. M/S Bayard, Markell
- Citizen issues: Ann DiSalvo encouraged the commission to apply for the Jackson County Cultural Coalition and other grants. She suggested developing a relationship with the Parks Foundation – thus allowing our commission to qualify for more grants.
- Subcommitte overviews and reports:
- Gateway – brief explanation given – not currently active
- Calle – brief explanation given
· Bayard was approached by the artist of the phase I project who has contractual concerns. Bayard and the PAC were not given a copy of the contract for review before it was sent to the artist.
MOTION: As a courtesy to the Public Arts Commission and the artist involved, the City of Ashland Legal Department will submit any further artist contracts (and any changes thereof) to the PAC for their review prior to them being sent to the artist for signature and approval.
M/S Longshore, Bayard (unanimous approval)
· PAC suggests that the Legal Department review the Calle Phase I contract and issues of appropriation with 2 PAC committee members (Bayard and Markell). Jackson has asked to join in this meeting.
MOTION: Longshore made a motion to post/advertise the RFP for the Calle Phase II project. M/S Longshore, Markell (unanimous approval)
- McGee/Neil Memorial – brief explanation given. PAC is waiting to see what proposals will be submitted. Additional funding and/or publicity for this project may be considered if the turnout for proposals is low.
- Policies and Procedures – No current changes. Bayard recommends that the policies and procedures be kept current and accurate.
MOTION: A current edition of the PAC Policies and Procedures (titled – “Working Document”) should be placed on the City of Ashland Website. Members of the City Council, PAC, and the Parks Commission should be notified when it has been posted. M/S Bayard, Markell (unanimous approval)
· The Parks foundation has made a donation to the PAC. It has been requested that the donation amount not be specified.
- Subcommittee formation – postponed
- Meeting time for the PAC shall remain at 8:15am every third Friday.
1. Jackson and Pugh will report on Art in Bloom at the next meeting
2. Reminder that there is a regional Public Art meeting in June
Meeting Adjourned – 9:35am