Alert: As of July 15, face masks will be required in outdoor public spaces where physical distancing is not possible. This is in addition to masks being required for all indoor public spaces effective July 1. Get more updates, cancelations, and resources related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) here.
 

Agendas and Minutes

Forest Lands Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, September 14, 2005

MINUTES FOR THE MEETING
ASHLAND FOREST LANDS COMMISSION
September 14, 2005 - 4:30 PM
Community Development, 51 Winburn Way

MEMBERS PRESENT: Frank Betlejewski, Richard Brock (Chair), Dan Maymar, Diane White
Members Absent: Jo Anne Eggers, Anthony Kerwin, Joseph Vaile
Staff Present: Tyler Douglas, Chris Chambers, Nancy Slocum, Pieter Smeenk, Keith Woodley
Non-Voting Members Present: Cate Hartzell

I. CALL TO ORDER: Chair Brock called the meeting to order at 4:32 PM in the Siskiyou Room. Newly appointed commissioner Dan Maymar introduced himself to the commission. Maymar had been observing the Commission's work for a long time. He has a Forestry degree from Humboldt State and is currently a realtor. He desires to use the whole of his experience to further the citizens of Ashland.
-
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: White/Maymar m/s to approve the minutes with three minor changes. Motion passed unanimously.
-
III. PUBLIC FORUM: None
-
IV. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA - Woodley, noting the length of the agenda, said two items were time sensitive and needed to be discussed at this meeting - Items VI. A and B. Commission agreed to discuss these items and then move to VI. C. if time permitted.
-
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Staff Report from Woodley - Woodley would report under the appropriate New Business items.
B. Review and Vote on 2005 Commission Goals - Tabled.
C. Monitoring on City Owned Lands - Tabled.
D. Winburn Parcel - Tabled.
-
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Plan Commission Presentation to Council October 4th - Tabled until later in the meeting.
B. Discussion of AFR Future Participation Structure - Woodley reported that he, Mayor John Morrison and City Administrator Gino Grimaldi met with Linda Duffy and Scott Conroy to discuss the need for clarification on the treatment of owl cores, riparian areas and the mapping of treatment areas. The group mutually agreed to a deadline of November 1st to clarify and obtain public input on the above items. The Forest Service would then begin preparation of the FEIS. The group agreed that additional fish and wildlife information was needed to begin discussions. A meeting with the USFS and USFWS would be scheduled for either September 20th or 22nd. Borgias noted Duffy's discomfort with the tenor and tone of the cover letter in the City's response to the DEIS. Initially the Forest Service was considering asking only for clarification on the three areas, then ending collaboration with the City. After the meeting there is a potential opportunity to work with the Forest Service on a joint alternative.

Woodley wondered if the community still supported AFRCAT's position. He thought Joan Resnick could help gather additional public input. Mayor Morrison thought the meeting was very productive and that Woodley fostered a feeling of solidarity. Borgias added that the Forest Service said the DEIS was wrong about the likely adverse effects on owl habitat. Betlejewski agreed with Vaile's previous comments that more field validation of remote sensing data was needed regarding owl habitat.

Commission reiterated the importance of a planning and implementation plan. Borgias said the Forest Service's planning and implementation plan would be written after the FEIS is published.

Resnick thought a parallel technical and public process could be implemented during this two month window. The public process, although not yet defined, would most likely include education and could consist of outreach on issues that citizen's value (eg. monitoring and inventory) and their desired outcome for the watershed. Brock thought the owl habitat issue needed extra education and that, once the terms were defined, the technical issues should be minor. Woodley noted a need for clarification on what treatment would be done in the roadless area. He said public input might include a community assessment of the City's position. He said hiring consultants to help gather public input was one option. Woodley thought public input had to consist of active outreach and include more than public meetings. He suggested identifying the range of community issues and incorporating them into the City's and Forest Service's management concerns. Chris Chambers thought public input was premature until after the FEIS was published and before actual implementation. Resnick aimed to increase the level of involvement with neighbors in the interface zone. Hartzell cautioned the commission not to overextend themselves. Brock believed the goal of public input at this time would be capacity building and increasing the visibility for community stewardship as well as involvement in implementation and monitoring. He recommended educational forums.

Borgias will confirm the date of the next AFRCAT meeting with representatives of the Forest Service and Department of Fish and Wildlife regarding owl habitat. He volunteered to meet with Cindy Deacon-Williams, Headwaters, regarding treatment issues in the riparian area and Marty Main regarding mapping the treatment areas. After those meetings a schedule of additional AFRCAT meeting(s) if needed would be made. Commission agreed.

Hartzell asked Slocum to redistribute draft 2005 Commission goals. She also suggested scheduling a working session with Linda Duffy on October 12th. The Commission made no decision on this suggestion.

Hartzell asked Resnick to broker a draft public participation process with Kevin Preister, Social Ecology Associates.

C. Plan Commission Presentation to Council October 4th - Hartzell recommended that as many Commissioners as possible attend. The presentation could be informal and should state what the commission is currently working on including the DEIS and anything else the council should know about. In addition the council may have questions. Hartzell said, since the meeting was televised, the Commission could publicize the City's response to the DEIS and ways the public could participate.
D. Schedule Commissioner Site Visit to Late Successional Reserve (Vaile) - the Commission set Saturday, October 8th as a tentative date for a site visit dependent upon Marty Main's schedule. The hike would be held from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM and the public would be invited. The commission will discuss this further at their next meeting.
-
VII. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS - None.
-
VIII. REVIEW AND SET COMMISSION CALENDAR / NEXT MEETING
A. Special meeting to finish agenda: Wednesday, September 28, 2005.
B. Council Presentation: Tuesday, October 4, 2005
C. Tentative Field Visit to LSR: Saturday, October 8, 2005
D. Next regularly scheduled meeting: Wednesday, October 12, 2005.
-
IX. ADJOURN: 6:03 PM

Richard Brock, Chair

Respectfully Submitted,
Nancy Slocum, Clerk


End of Document - Back to Top

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2020 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top