Alert: As of July 15, face masks will be required in outdoor public spaces where physical distancing is not possible. This is in addition to masks being required for all indoor public spaces effective July 1. Get more updates, cancelations, and resources related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) here.
 

Agendas and Minutes

Forest Lands Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, March 16, 2005

MINUTES FOR THE SPECIAL MEETING

ASHLAND FOREST LANDS COMMISSION

March 16, 2005 – 4:30 PM

Council Chambers, 1175 East Main Street

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:         Frank Betlejewski, Richard Brock, Jo Anne Eggers, Anthony Kerwin,

                                                                                    Bill Robertson (Chair), Diane White

Members Absent:                              Anthony Kerwin

Staff Present:                                                              Nancy Slocum, Ed Olson

Non-Voting Members Present:                     Cate Hartzell

 

I.                   CALL TO ORDER: Chair Robertson called the meeting to order at 4:38 PM in the Lithia Room.

 

II.        APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of February 9, 2005 were approved as submitted.

 

III.       PUBLIC FORUM: No one spoke.

 

VI.       ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA: None.

 

IV.       OLD BUSINESS

A.     Staff Report from Chief Woodley – Woodley could not attend the meeting, but submitted a memo dated March 11. He reported the purchase of seedlings from BLM to plant in our restoration project area. The prescribed fire project on USFS Unit “K” had not been funded by the Forest Service. The City completed our contractual obligations under the road use permit (Restoration Project) by the Forest Service and all that remained was the burning of a slash pile at the Forest Service helicopter landing site.

 

B.     Discussion with Pieter Smeenk regarding Main Waterline Feeder Project – Interim Public Works Director Ed Olson reported for Smeenk. The contractor had begun preliminary setup with construction scheduled to begin in two to three weeks. The contractor, R&G Excavation, was required by DEQ to provide an erosion control plan that must be approved by DEQ and the City. City staff and/or Dennis Slader from Brown & Caldwell would be monitoring the contractor and their subcontractors daily. The City is developing an Emergency Response Plan that would include staff and contractor training in the event of a breech in the waterline. In addition, Olson noted there would be screening on graded areas along the roadside.

 

Eggers asked if there were regulations regarding the storage of materials and equipment near the creek. Olson replied yes. In addition to compliance of the regulations, there would be fire equipment stocked with hazardous waste clean up supplies. Olson would ask Smeenk to require the contractor avoid the most sensitive areas close to the creek.

 

C.     Exhibitor Booth at Earth Day – Robertson asked for volunteers to organize a table. No one volunteered so the commission declined the invitation.

 

D.     Schedule Goal Setting/Charter Review/Public Input Retreat – Robertson asked if the commission still wished to schedule a retreat bearing in mind the Draft EIS would be released soon. Commission decided on a working session, not a retreat, to discuss short and long term commission goals, the commission’s charter and the roles of participants at meetings. The working session was scheduled for April 21st from 5:00 – 9:00 PM. Eggers suggested that “Collaborative Processes” be added to the session agenda. (She noted that Parks Commissioner Jim Lewis would be her commission substitute if it ever became necessary.)

 

 

E.      Monitoring Protocol for City Owned Forestlands – Commission would ask Main to draft a monitoring plan on city-owned forestlands taking as much from AFRCA as possible.

 

F.      Create Timeline for Winburn Parcel - The commission asked staff to review the work to date. Slocum remembered that April 2004 was the last discussions on goals and strategies. Brock thought Marty Main had drafted some silvicultural prescriptions, but there was no consensus on Unit 4.

 

Betlejewski recommended taking appropriate sections from AFRCA including prescriptions (since there was wide community consensus) and applying them to Winburn. Brock noted that there were exceptions to AFRCA including management of northern aspects, lower slopes and Units 2, 5, and 4. He noted that restoration goals needed to be agreed upon in the riparian transition zone. Commission would further discuss the idea of using parts of AFRCA at their next meeting.

 

Commission set a field trip on Winburn for either May 14th or May 7th from 9 AM to 4 PM (contingent upon Main’s availability). The goal would be to visit those areas that needed further discussion as mentioned above.

 

Commission discussed a tentative timeline for the Winburn Parcel as outlined below:

 

Date

Task

Estimated time needed

April, May, 2005

Any needed data gathering/ground truthing

?

June, 2005

AFLC draft complete, sample areas marked

?

Summer, 2005

Public Process including hikes and at least 2 public forums

3 months

August 16, 2005

Council Approval

2-4 weeks

September 15, 2005

Bid Process

6-8 weeks

November 1, 2005

Implementation

?

 

Potential limitations to timeline include: no sawing after March 1st, no burning after April 1st per spotted owl and burning regulations and the maximum number of piles burned per day.

 

Commission wanted to continue the discussion of the timeline next month when Main and Woodley could be present. Commission asked staff to forward questions to Main for a report next meeting. Questions included: Main’s comfort level with the existing data; what data is still needed; how does AFRCA apply to Winburn Parcel and how does it not apply; how many acres need to be treated, what treatments and where are they located.

 
V.         NEW BUSINESS:  None

 

VIII.    COMMISSIONER COMMENTS:  None

           

IX.       REVIEW AND SET COMMISSION CALENDAR / NEXT MEETING

The next regularly scheduled commission meeting was set for Wednesday, April 13, 2005.

 

X.         ADJOURN: 6:15 PM

 

___________________________

Bill Robertson, Chair

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

___________________________

Nancy Slocum, Clerk

 

Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2020 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top