Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

March 18 regular meeting

Minutes
Monday, March 21, 2005

DRAFT
 
 
Minutes
Public Art Commission
March 18,2005
Regular Meeting Minutes
 
 
Attendance
Commissioners: Longshore, Markell, Todd, Young, Wilkerson
Jackson (Council liaison), Seltzer (Staff Liaison)
 
Absent
Benson, Bayard
 
Consent Agenda
Minutes of the February 18 meeting were approved. M/S Longshore, Markell
 
Sub-committee Reports:
 
Calle: Seltzer gave a report on behalf of Bayard. Bayard asks that the PAC focus on the two pedestals for revolving sculpture on the Calle staircase as Phase II and defer the wall niche until later to be incorporated into Phase III. That would enable the sculpture garden to move ahead and be in keeping with the budget (funds raised by family and friends of Arnie Krigel). PAC agreed with this suggestion. In addition, Bayard is asking for assistance in developing the RFP for the sculpture garden. Wilkerson offered to help.
 
Policy and Procedures: No report
 
Funding: Seltzer gave a report on behalf of Bayard. Bayard, Jackson and Seltzer met to discuss the process to submit a request for public art funding to the budget committee. Seltzer explained that Gino Grimaldi and Lee Tuneberg advised that the PAC develop their request and include at least three options. Tuneberg will include the request in the budget document that is distributed to the full budget committee. On May 5, the Administration department will present its proposed budget to the budget committee and include in the presentation the request from PAC.
 
The 3 options include 1% from the CIP (capital improvement projects) for procurement and installation of public art, of 1% from the TOT general fund money for maintenance of public art. By spreading the funding between these two sources both citizens of Ashland and visitors to Ashland are funding public art. The second option is requesting a specific dollar amount of the TOT general fund and the third option is a 1 cent increase in property taxes.
 
Bayard will send a final DRAFT proposal to the PAC for comments and input in the next week weeks. The final deadline to submit information is April 1.
 
Wilkerson suggested that at some point the PAC might want to make a request/recommend to the Planning Commission that public art be required of private developers for downtown projects. Currently, public art is one of six options of which four must be incorporated into a development project.
 
McGee Memorial: Longshore reported that the sub-committee agrees that the best spot for placing the McGee memorial is the space at the corner of Pioneer Street and Lithia Way.
 
Jim Olson was invited to the meeting and advised the full committee that the space is city-owned land, not ODOT and that the committee should feel comfortable in proceeding with that space.
 
The sub-committee will fine-tune the RFP, Seltzer will e-mail it to the froup for input and place it on the web by then end of next week. The sub-committee is compiling an e-mail list of artist who should be notified that the RFP is posted. Submissions are open to anyone nationally and in Guanjuato.
 
New Business:
Young asked the PAC to be involved and assist in planning a fund-raiser with proceeds to be divided between the school district, PAC and Briscoe Art wing. The PAC felt that it could not take on this project.
 
In response to an e-mail from a Ashland citizen, Todd agreed to send a letter to the Parks Commission and Historic Commission asking about the Mikelson-Chapman fountain.
 
Meeting adjourned 9:30 a.m.

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share