Public Art Commission
July 16, 2004
Regular Meeting Minutes
Lithia Room, 51 Winburn Way 8:15 a.m.
Commissioners: Wilkerson, Todd (Chair), Bayard, Benson, Young, Jackson (Council liaison)
Seltzer, (Staff liaison)
Consent Agenda (committees and sub-committee)
Minutes of the June 18 meeting were approved. Bayard motion, Wilkerson second.
Calle Overlook RFP
Wilkerson presented installation figures from a tile worker that set a range of approximately $45,000 to $75,000 for installation of the job in the worst-case scenario (tile covering entire 463 sq ft.) Ramifications for this and other projects indicate that the committee may need to scale back expectations. The Calle committee will modify language in the RFP to include installation range and better description of what is feasible in the overlook area.
Benson and Bayard expressed concern about committing to a budget that does not yet have the funds and is in the process of fund raising. The language in the RFP needs to give us latitude in how big a project we take on, or if we even do it.
There was discussion about having a booth in the Saturday market in the Calle and a reiteration of some concerns and suggestions from Longshore, Todd and Wilderson, plus a commitment to sit again on the 24 July. Young suggested that commissioners stay until 6:00 p.m. to avoid disruption to the rest of the market. Bayard signed up for set up and the 10-12 slot. Jackson from 12-2, Young from 2-4, unless he has to be out of town, in which case Todd would sit in, and Bayard again from 4-6 and break down the booth.
· Wilkerson and Bayard will print out posters and banners and add the City of Ashland logo.
· Jackson suggested that adding more names and business to the postcard mailing list. There are 500 postcards and 240 addresses.
· Young noted the Planning Commission granted a condition use permit to the Briscoe School project. A few formalities remain. There will be a room available for use by various groups including the PAC.
· Bayard will edit RFP to include language about the installation range and add a better description of what is feasible in the overlook area.
· Seltzer to send City logo to Wilkerson and Bayard.