Two Week Freeze until December 2 for all of Oregon is in effect. Get more updates, cancelations, and resources related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic here.
 

Agendas and Minutes

Forest Lands Commission (View All)

Regular Monthly Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

ASHLAND FOREST LANDS COMMISSION
March 10, 2004
MINUTES

MEMBERS PRESENT: Frank Betlejewski, Richard Brock, Stephen Jensen (Chair),Bill Robertson, Diane White
Members Absent: Jo Anne Eggers, Anthony Kerwin
Staff Present: Nancy Slocum, Keith Woodley
Non Voting Members Present: Chris Hearn, Marty Main
Non Voting Members Absent: January Jennings, Cameron Meeks (Student Liaison)

I. 0 CALL TO ORDER: 4:35 PM
0
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
The February 18, 2004 minutes were unanimously approved with one change for clarification.
0
III. PUBLIC FORUM:
Eric Navickas reported that Headwaters is creating a community organization made up of diverse opinions. Within this organization, a small group of people will forward a specific agenda. He questioned the ethics of this practice. Navickas also read from a letter from Al Alsing dated 1979. Alsing stated the city's position on managing the city-owned portions of the watershed included no logging, no new roads, no mineral entry and minimal human use. Navickas referenced the 1980 James Montgomery study and spoke against the current Forest Service approach saying it differs from the "historical" approach.
0
IV. STAFF REPORTS (20 MIN)
A. Chief Keith Woodley
1. Report on RFP process - Woodley reported that Superior Helicopter and Boise were awarded the bid. The contracts have been signed and executed. The project will begin March 15th and end mid April.

2. Woodley's meeting with Linda Duffy is postponed until early April. Jensen met with Duffy. She expressed interest in having the Forest Commission involved in reviewing the upcoming Forest Service project. Betlejewski felt there might be a conflict of interest for himself.

Jensen also reported that Duffy asked the commission to urge Sue Kupillas to move forward on the "Community Wildland Fire Protection Plan." This newly formed group would use Jackson County as an umbrella to improve everyone's chance for upcoming grant monies. Woodley suggested the commission write a letter to Kupillas. Jensen volunteered.

Robertson would like to see the commission have input and control over the entire watershed project. Brock noted that an alternative proposal could be submitted by April 30. Jensen reported that the draft EIS should be completed in June, finaled in September with the Record of Decision published in October. Woodley thought it better to see the results of the commission's restoration project first before taking on such a large project. Joseph Vaile stated that the Ashland Watershed Stewardship Alliance (AWSA) may be developing an alternative proposal and invited commissioners to their next meeting on March 17th at 4:30 in the Community Center. Robertson, also a participant in AWSA, thought the commission had the better expertise and thought AWSA should approach the commission.

Brock will draft some ideas on managing the entire watershed and send them to AWSA. Jensen asked Robertson and Brock to attend the next AWSA meeting and report back to the commission.

0
B. Marty Main
Main reported that last month 3000 trees were planted (1500 mulched) in the steeper lands west of Ashland Creek in areas burned in 1959 and in units with 50-90% in-stand mortality rates. Main said the ultimate goal was a combination of hardwoods and conifers.

Robertson referred to the Denis Odion email that talked about predictions of decreased rainfall due to global warming and the progression toward Oak chaparral conditions. He wondered if the step toward large trees was the right approach ecologically. White said the predictions were for warmer, but not dryer weather.

0
V. PROJECTS PENDING/REQUIRING ACTION - Tabled.
0
VI. ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION:
A. Review of Public Forum Protocol - Jensen said Slocum had researched examples of public forum protocol. Jensen would like to review the examples and draft a recommendation for the next meeting. Brock said the commission implemented a policy years ago and thought it could be reviewed again. Woodley said the statement should be succinct enough to fit on each monthly agenda as a small advisory piece for the public.

Eric Navickas was asked his opinion on the subject. Navickas felt antagonized by the commission. He said he knew the history of fuels reduction in the watershed better than anyone. He believed contentious issues could only be resolved through the public process thus meetings should remain completely open with input permitted when the public felt so inclined. Navickas was reminded by Jensen that, as presently constituted, the Public Forum portion of the AFLC meeting was the only time he could participate.

B. Restoration Project: Winburn Parcel - Main liked Kerwin and White's draft goals and objectives. Brock would like to see qualitative numbers attached to such statements as "overly dense stands." White thought the commission needed to consider the relationship of the Winburn parcel to the surrounding lands. She suggested comparing the Forest Service's prescription to the City's. Main thought it important to identify that our prescriptions may need buffering from adjacent owners. Woodley explained the intent was cooperative management.

The commission reviewed the first goal. As time ran out, Robertson suggested holding a special meeting to finish the goals and objectives as Main would like to begin working on the prescriptions. Commission agreed and set a special meeting for March 31, 2004 beginning at 4:30 PM. Commission asked that only this issue be placed on the agenda.

C. Schedule Q&A for WWF Certification Proposal - Jensen reported that Zach Stevenson requested the opportunity to answer any commission questions at the April meeting. The commission thought other issues were more pressing. Woodley and Jensen thought that WWF deserved an answer soon. Woodley personally thought that the cost/benefit ratio did not benefit the City. Robertson moved to decline WWF's offer. Brock seconded the motion and it passed unanimously. Jensen volunteered to send a letter to Stevenson, the letter to be reviewed by the AFLC at the April meeting.

0
VII. OTHER BUSINESS - None.
0
VIII. REVIEW AND SET COMMISSION CALENDAR / NEXT MEETING
A. Next meeting: Wednesday, March 31, 2004

B. Next regularly scheduled meeting: Wednesday, April 14, 2004

0
IX. ADJOURN 6:05 PM

End of Document - Back to Top


Online City Services

Customer Central Online Payment Center
Connect to
Ashland Fiber Network
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Building Permit
Applications
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2020 City of Ashland, OR | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

twitter facebook Email Share
back to top