Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Minutes

Public Art Commission

November 19, 2003

Regular Meeting Minutes

Siskiyou Room, 51 Winburn Way 8:00 a.m.

 

Attendance

Commissioners Bayard, Benson, Todd, Jorgensen, Dvora, Wilkerson, Jackson (Council liaison), Seltzer (Staff liaison) were present.

Absent

Demele

Guest

Alan Oppenheimer

Claudia Rochelle (sp?)

Call to Order

Bayard called the meeting to order at 8:00 a.m. Todd m/s to approve minutes of October 1. The commission welcomed David Wilkerson, to the group.

Committee Updates

1) Policies and Procedures

Bayard reported that it appears that the group is in agreement with Chapter IV, Art in Public Places as he did not receive any changes to the draft.

Action:

  • Bayard will begin drafting Chapter V, XXX

2) Gateway Island

No report

3) Calle

Dvora reported that the committee has identified four components to the Calle Public Art project:

1) The overlook area at Granite Street level at the top of the proposed stairs.

2) Rotating sculpture garden

3) Wall niche for art

4) Stairway hand rail

There was some discussion from the group on whether or not to incorporate Guanjuato artists in the overall project and/or to invite participation in only one area of the Calle, such as the overlook area. There was much discussion on the need for public input. Wilkerson cautioned that before asking for public input, the commission must be very clear as to what input it is asking of the public.

The commission endorsed the identified four components of the project. Jackson asked for a written proposal from the sub-committee elaborating on the project and proposed timelines. Dvora passed out her notes from the sub-committee meeting.

Action:

  • Jackson to contact Cultural Affairs liaison in GTO to discuss GTO involvement.
  • Dvora to draft written proposal, clarify the process and develop a timeline for the overall project including public input.

4) Funding

Bayard reported that the group proposes to request money in the 2004-05 budget from the general fund to finance public art specifically the projects already identified. Jackson explained that a balanced budget must be presented including existing funds (McGee memorial and proposed contributions for the Arnie Krigel Memorial Sculpture Garden).

Jackson and Seltzer met with Finance Director Lee Tuneberg to discuss the budget process. Jackson will introduce the idea to council in December and include it in the council goal discussion in January.

Jackson distributed a draft proposal for funding. There was much discussion about the actual dollar amounts proposed and how they were determined.

Action:

??????

5) Mural

No report.

Action:

  • Jorgensen to distribute information to the group.

6) Memorial Giving

Todd presented a draft chapter on Memorial Giving to be included in the Policies and Procedures guide. There was not time left in the meeting for the group to review the document. It will be revisited in December.

Action:

  • None

Old Business

Dvora recommended the rotating sculpture garden in the Calle be dedicated as the Arnie Krigel Sculpture Garden. The group agreed with the idea as did Alan Oppenheimer on behalf of the Krigel family.

Committee Meetings

Murals

Gateway

Funding

Policies/Procedures

Memorial Giving

Murals

Next Meetings

December 17, 2003

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 9:30 a.m.

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share