Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular Meetings

Minutes
Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Public Art Commission

February 18,2004

Regular Meeting Minutes

Siskiyou Room, 51 Winburn Way 8:15 a.m.

 

Attendance

Commissioners Bayard, Benson, Todd, Dvora, Wilkerson, Jorgensen, Jackson (Council liaison), Seltzer (Staff liaison) were present.

Absent

Demele

Guest

Debbie Wolfe

Call to Order

Bayard called the meeting to order at 8:20 a.m. Todd motioned to approve of January meeting minutes, seconded by Benson. Motion passed.

Committee Reports

Committee reports were tabled for a future meeting to allow time to discuss other items on the agenda.

Discussion

Dvora explained that she is leaving the commission for personal reasons but also expressed frustration with how commissioners work together as a group. Bayard expressed frustration in his leadership role and noted that as a group the PAC voted to focus energies on the short-term goals but that other commissioners are introducing projects not on the list and he is having difficulty keeping the group focused. The addition of other interests divides the focus and the energy of the commission as a whole.

Todd is concerned that there is no real support from the City since there is no financial support. You can't do public art without some souce of funding.

The group discussed focusing the energy on the Calle project and on the Policies and Procedures manual as those are the short-term projects nearest to completion. Todd does not want to back away from the other identified projects. Benson asked why the Calle takes precedence over the McGee memorial. Jackson agrees that PAC should not back away from the Gateway project but that for now the Calle should be the focus. Wilkerson emphasized that we need to be focused on current projects at each meeting.

Suggestions for improving monthly meetings include setting a limited timeline on the agenda for each topic and sticking to the allotted time. It was also suggested that each meeting be devoted to one project to allow time for a full committee discussion.

Bayard reminded the sub-committee to e-mail reports to Seltzer on the Wednesday prior to the upcoming meeting and that Seltzer would e-mail the agenda, reports and minutes by Thursday of the week prior.

The commission agreed to meet in two weeks (March 3) to discuss the presentation for the Council study session on April 7.

Action Items

Dvora to provide an outline on how to incorporate the McGee memorial into the Calle project.

Seltzer to draft an outline of the study session presentation.

Next Meetings

March 3, 2004 (study session work)

March 17, 2004, next regular meeting

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 9:40 a.m.

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share