Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular Monthly Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, October 01, 2003

DRAFT

 

 

 

 

Minutes

Public Art Commission

October 1, 2003

Regular Meeting Minutes

Siskiyou Room, 51 Winburn Way 8:00 a.m.

 

Attendance

Commissioners Bayard, Benson, Demele, Todd, Jorgensen, Dvora, Jackson (Council liaison), Seltzer (Staff liaison) were present.

Absent

Guest

Alan Oppenheimer

Jim Young

Call to Order

Bayard called the meeting to order at 8:00 a.m.

Old Business

  • Due to apparent glitches in the group e-mail address for Public Arts Commission, the group was asked to review the e-mail list of all members and to establish their own group list on their respective machines rather than relying on the group e-mail address for the group.
  • The Commission agreed not to continue to meet twice per month as it has for eight months. The Commission will now meet once per month on the third Wednesday of each month at 8:00 a.m. at 51 Winburn Way. The next meeting is November 19.
  • Kate Jackson gave an update on the landscaping plan for the Gresham Street bump adjacent to Evos. Kate explained that the two trees, scheduled to be planted, at that location were to mitigate the removal of trees at the library. While the PAC had previously asked Council to approve that area as a placeholder for public art and not to plant the trees, the group agreed to planting the trees, with berm or no berm as the tree commission recommends. The PAC would like to retain the option of developing a public art project at that location, possibly as a "neighborhood gateway" community project that would not interfere with the trees.
  • The Commission had a discussion about the McGee Memorial gift and what our parameters are for developing that project. As a result of the discussion, a need for a "Donation Direction Form" became clear, so there can be documentation of expectations and obligations of such donations.

New Business

Committee updates

  • Policies and Procedures. Bayard reported that he needs input from the commission on chapter IV, Artist/Artwork Criteria, which is essentially complete. The committee will begin to work on chapter V, Selection Process. Commissioners are asked to comment on chapter IV no later than October 20.
  • Calle Guanjuato. Dvora met with the Parks Commission and asked that the area of the overlook of the Calle project not be concrete but rather be left "undecided" so that the PAC can incorporate that area into an artistic overall design to include the "medallion". Parks will open the bidding process for the Calle project again in the spring in the hopes that more local contractors will bid. The only bid received in the previous bidding process was nearly double the budget and submitted by an out of town contractor. Parks agreed to make appropriate adjustments in the plans to reflect the PAC request.
  • Gateway No report.
  • Funding. The committee asked for guidance on next steps.
  • Murals. No report

Action Items

  • Full commission to review chapter IV of Policies and Procedures. Committee will begin drafting Chapter V.
  • Calle, develop a timeline for the Calle project.
  • Gateway, develop a public input timeline for the Gateway project.
  • Funding, identify potential gifting organizations that might consider funding a project such as the Calle because of the international/sister city element.
  • Funding, develop a proposal to request a percentage of the TOT.
  • Funding, develop proposal and timeline for McGee Memorial
  • Benson, Bayard and Demele to draft a form/questionnaire, a "Donation Direction Form" to be completed by people wishing to make a monetary gift as a memorial to the PAC.

Sculpture Garden for Public Art

Alan Oppenheimer made a brief presentation to the group regarding the establishment of a Sculpture Garden for Public Art in memory of Arnie Krigel. Family and friends of Krigel hope to contribute more than $5000 towards such a space. The PAC agreed to explore ideas on where the space might be located and the process for incorporating sculpture. Oppenheimer agreed to review the draft form being developed for people wishing to make a memorial contribution.

The Commission stated its sadness at the passing of Arnie. He was a delight to work with, and his input on all matters will be greatly missed.

Committee Meetings

Murals Monday, October 6, 2:15 p.m. upstairs at Bloomsbury

Gateway Wednesday, October 8, 2:15 p.m. upstairs at Bloomsbury

Funding Tuesday, October 14, 8:30 a.m. Evo's

Policies/Procedures Wednesday, October 8, 9:00 a.m. upstairs at Bloomsbury

Next Meetings

November 17, 2003

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 9:30 a.m.

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share