Agendas and Minutes

Public Arts Commission (View All)

Regular Meeting

Minutes
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Minutes

Public Art Commission

June 18, 2003

Regular Meeting Minutes

Siskiyou Room, 51 Winburn Way 8:00 a.m.

 

Attendance

Commissioners Bayard, Jorgensen, Demele, Todd, Dvora, Jackson (Council liaison), Seltzer (staff liaison) were present.

Absent

Krigel, Benson

Guests

Jim Young, Lithia Artisans Guild

Call to Order

Bayard called the meeting to order at 8:05 a.m.

Approval of minutes.

Approved minutes of June 5

Agenda Items

1) Steve Gies from Ashland Parks and Recreation Department gave an update on the proposed staircase area in the Calle connecting the Calle with Granite Street. The project will go to bid in July and construction will occur in August and September. Art placement could occur in the Spring of 2004.

The medallion identified on the drawings must be a drain. Jim Young updated the PAC on Lithia Artisan discussions about the placement of art in the designated spaces on the Calle. Discussions included possibly placing art on an annual rotating basis and that the art could be for sale during that year. There will be two permanent pedestals, likely 2' x 2' for art. Jim indicated that there is a widespread interest within the artists' community. Perhaps the art could have a yearly theme?

Lithia Artisan Guild has donated $13,000 to Parks to be used for the gathering area in the Calle Adjacent to the stairs. It has also collected $3,000 to invest in the sculpture project and is willing to help coordinate the process.

Jim also indicated that the artists' community in Guanajuato has expressed interest in being involved and would like to be included in the "call for artists".

Action: Gies will provide the PAC with final drawings once they are complete. Dvora volunteered to work with the Guild.

2) Paula Brown, Public Works Director showed the PAC drawings of the improvements for the Gateway Island, as well as improvements on Gresham and in front of the Library. She indicated on the drawing, potential sites to place art however explained that Council has already approved the drawings and the landscaping. If the PAC wants to add art at a later date, it will have to get the approval of the Council to make a change in the landscaping. Brown also explained the hardscaping and the constraints within the area. Possible other areas to include art are the proposed bus shelters.

Action: Brown will take the PAC on a field trip to the Gateway Island in mid-July.

3) PAC approved and agreed to the short term goals and timeline.

 

Other:

Demele expressed concern that the PAC does not have a comprehensive plan. Dvora agreed that we need a comprehensive plan eventually but urged the PAC to honor the work that has been done over the past meetings and to focus on the short-term goals identified by the group.

Action: Demele will check with the Target Foundation to determine is they might the development of comprehensive plan for public art.

 

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share