Agendas and Minutes

Tree Commission (View All)

Regular Monthly Meeting

Minutes
Thursday, April 03, 2003

Ashland Tree Commission

Minutes, April 3, 2002

Call to Order - The meeting was called to order at 5:10pm by Chairperson Rich Whitall. Additional commissioners in attendance included Bryan Holley, January Jennings, Ted Loftus, Bryan Nelson and Jonathan Uto. Also in attendance were Council liaison Kate Jackson, and staff Robbin Pearce.

Approval of Minutes – Commissioners did not receive the March minutes in time to review them. Review of both March and April minutes will occur for the May meeting.

Welcome Guests - Kevin Nering was present to answer questions regarding North Mountain Land Company project. Bruce Moats was present to address concerns about the SOU RVTV project. And Mike Rally, SOU intern was present to present an update on the GIS tree identification project.

Old Business

  1. Recommended Street Tree matrix – This item was tabled until May.
  2. Goals for 2002 – 2003 – 1. Heritage Trees – Staff will review forms and find out from the City attorney how the deed process works. 2. Public Works Specs Update – Laurie Sager will review the specs after the changes and will take all the specs to Pieter Smeenk. Examples and/or illustrations will be included whenever possible. Laurie Sager will continue to review specs as options present themselves from Public Works. 3. Arbor Week transition – Fran Berteau in Administration has included information in the utility bill stuffer regarding the transition.
  3. Distinctive Tree Mapping – Mike Rally, SOU intern reported on status of the project. Some of the challenges were finding the trees and/or finding the location on the lot. Some data was vague enough to not include addresses. Now on the database 40 out of 69 trees are entered with two layers: Tree of the Year and Heritage Trees.. Laurie Sager volunteered to locate and/or identify the missing trees. Other interns should be able to easily continue and/or update this project.
  4. Arbor Week Activities – There will be Arbor Week events all week despite and in conjunction with Earth Day. Activity discussion included: offering seedlings or seeds, article for the Tidings, annual tree planting, plaque for last year’s Tree of the Year.
  5. Professional Designers Standard Condition – Staff will talk with Bill Molnar and have a report at the May meeting.
  6. Planning Action Landscape Review – Staff will submit violations to code compliance for follow up. Bryan Holley recommended asking the Planning Commissions to require follow up on the committee findings. Staff will select projects for May review.
  7. Tree Protection Plans – Staff will educate the applicant when tree protection plans are required. Tree Commission wants to be made aware of all tree protection plans.
  8. Signs – Bryan Holley with some input from the commissioners made corrections to the sign. Discussion included how to attach the sign (duct tape top and bottom), when to make the signs available (prior to beginning of any pre construction work).
  9. Distinctive Tree Box – Bryan Holley reported there was a lot of historic information. This might be a good project for another intern.
  10. Tree Grates – Commissioners have concerns about cost and functionality of grates. Staff will review with planners and research options.
  11. Database of Memorial Trees - This item was tabled until May.
  12. Other – 1. Urban Forester – Kate Jackson presented information about this proposed position. RVCOG has a gant writer that might be helpful. Staff recommended reevaluating and redrafting the current Urban Forester outline that Dan Moore had prepared. 2. January Jennings reported on the class she attended.

New Business

  1. Site Reviews
  1. Planning Action 2003-032 SOU- RVTV at 1525 Webster: All trees to be removed should be tagged. All details required from minimum standards for irrigation should be submitted at final plan. Both tree removals should occur. Rhaphilolepis will be eaten by deer and should be replace.
  1. Ordinance Review
  2. Other – 1. Discussion of Bay laurel on North Main included ensuring this tree is protected when the property is sold. 2. Kevin Nering the developer of the North Mountain Land Company on North Mountain and Nevada Streets attended to discuss landscape issues on his project.

Announcements – There were no announcements.

Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 7:45pm

Ashland 24/7

Pay Your
Utility Bill
Connect
to AFN
Request Conservation
Evaluation
Proposals, Bids
& Notifications
Request Building
Inspection
Apply for
Building Permits
Apply for Other
Permits & Licenses
Register for
Recreation Programs

©2017 City of Ashland, OR | Site by Project A

Quicklinks

Connect

Share

Email Share